Expected Result: Provide the business and administrative support functions and infrastructure to enable the efficient and effective delivery of all program outputs.
The Internal Services program contains two Sub-Activities, one that accounts for the standard Internal Services functions (Business Services), and the other to capture the organizational change agenda which will be implemented during 2012-13.
The first Sub-Activity, Business Services comprises the suite of business support functions such as General Counsel, Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, Communications, Business Planning, Business Development and Management & Oversight Services. These functions support all program areas and enable the efficient conduct of day-to-day business, compliance with applicable policies, regulations and legislation and the required interface, as a Crown Corporation, with the Government of Canada.
- General Counsel provides legal context and advice to all of the program activities and helps manage the associated legal risks. It also provides Intellectual Property management support. General Counsel also provides infrastructure and support to comply with the Public Servants Disclosure Protection Act, Access to Information Act and Privacy Act.
- Information Technology maintains the computing infrastructure and provides network, applications and desktop support services.
- Finance provides the financial operations, accounting and reporting services and business support and analysis to enable effective financial management of the programs.
- Human Resources provide the support functions and processes to enable program activities to manage their human resources in accordance with collective agreements, policies and legislation. Human Resources also provide the supporting programs to promote a safe work environment and healthy work force.
- Communications and Government Relations provide external and internal communications and information support. It also provides the interface between the Nuclear Laboratories management and senior elected officials and Government of Canada departments and agencies.
- Business Development provides the marketing, sales and contracting services to support both the developing and securing of business opportunities with external customers and partners.
- Management and Oversight Services provides the senior management oversight to ensure program alignment, planning and execution. The function also includes the oversight provided by Internal Audit services.
The relevance of Internal Services today and going forward is reflected in the need for Internal Services to permit a standalone Nuclear Laboratories organization.
The second Sub-Activity, the Organizational Change Agenda drives our key strategic initiatives which will be formed by the six Action Areas for Improvement as described in Section 4 and the support for the Nuclear Laboratories Restructuring.
The Six Action Areas for Improvement, as outlined in AECL's strategic direction:
a. Focus on AECL's S&T Priorities;
b. Implement a Robust Program Governance;
c. Enhance Productivity;
d. Stimulate Business Innovation;
e. Leverage Collaborations; and,
f. Improve Multi-year Management of Infrastructure Recapitalization.
Support the Nuclear Laboratories Restructuring - Changes, if any, to Nuclear Laboratories' mandate through the second phase of restructuring, led by the Government of Canada, through Natural Resources Canada.