Access to Information and Privacy Acts
The Access to Information Act gives Canadian citizens, permanent residents, individuals present in Canada and corporations located in Canada the right of access to information relating to Atomic Energy of Canada Limited’s (AECL):
- general administration; and
- its operation of any nuclear facility within the meaning of section 2 of the Nuclear Safety and Control Act that is subject to regulation by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission established under section 8 of that Act.
The Privacy Act gives individuals the right to access and request correction of personal information about themselves held by AECL. This Act also imposes obligations on AECL to respect privacy rights by limiting the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Office
The ATIP Office is responsible for administering the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act within AECL. It also ensures compliance with the Access to Information and Privacy legislations, regulations and related directives.
How to Make an Access to Information or Privacy Request
To make a request, please complete either the Access to Information Request Formor the Personal Information Request Form, or include a letter indicating that your request is made in accordance with the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act and describe the information you are seeking. Please include relevant details to help the ATIP Office find the information you are requesting. Mail your request to:
Jean Boulais, ATIP Director
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
1500 – 270 Albert St
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G8
1-888-220-2465 ext. 20201
Please note that requests made under the Access to Information Act must be accompanied by an application fee of $5.00. Cheque or money order payable to Atomic Energy of Canada Limited.
Principles for Assisting Applicants (Duty to Assist)
In processing your access request under the Access to Information Act, we will:
- Process your request without regard to your identity.
- Offer reasonable assistance throughout the request process.
- Provide information on the Access to Information Act, including information on the processing of your request and your right to complain to the Information Commissioner of Canada.
- Inform you as appropriate and without undue delay when your request needs to be clarified.
- Make every reasonable effort to locate and retrieve the requested records under the control of AECL.
- Apply limited and specific exemptions to the requested records.
- Provide accurate and complete responses.
- Provide timely access to the requested information.
- Provide records in the format and official language requested, as appropriate.
- Provide an appropriate location within AECL to examine the requested information.