Environment & Responsible
Research activities to support the needs of the Government of Canada in environmental and responsible radioactive waste management.
Federal priorities, commitments and goals
Overarching federal priorities and goals related to this theme area include:
- Support Canada’s national and international leadership to improve the understanding and reduce environmental impact of nuclear energy;
- Ensure Canada’s environmental stewardship by ensuring that nuclear energy is developed within a robust framework that addresses environmental and waste management concerns;
- Support implementation of the Pan-Canadian Framework and achieve Canada’s international greenhouse gas reduction targets by identifying the environmental impacts of nuclear energy production that could be reduced; and
- Develop and demonstrate innovative technologies to reduce environmental impacts, increase competitiveness, and promote the use of clean technology including in Canada’s natural resource sectors.
Scope of Work
The scope of work in this theme area to address the federal priorities include:
Providing science and technology to support the understanding of the effects of radiation on the environment
- Improving the understanding of the migration of radioisotopes in the environment, and their potential impacts on human health and non-human biota; and
- Enhancing prediction methods of radionuclide concentrations in the environment during the recovery phase following an unplanned radioactive release.
Providing science and technology to support radioactive waste management
- Developing and improving technologies and techniques for characterizing (or analyzing) and treating radioactive waste and contaminated materials; and
- Increasing our understanding of the long-term performance and safety of radioactive waste disposal facilities.